Ovenden Moor Wind Farm
The first meeting of a Community Liaison Group was held in Halifax on June 2nd.
20 people attended the meeting, mainly from the Wainstalls area and Withens Road, south of the site, which will see much disruption from increased traffic to and from the site.
The aim of the Group is to keep local residents and interested Groups up to date with the construction programme and to liaise with the communities surrounding the site.
Ovenden Moor has been generating wind power since June 1993 and planning permission has been granted to remove the current 23 turbines generating 9.2MW of power and replace them with nine new turbines generating 18MW. The new turbines will be much larger i.e. 115 metres high to the tip of the blades.
- Commence decommissioning August 2015
- Commence construction August 2015
- Complete decommissioning End of September 2015
- Complete main construction End of March 2016
- Turbine delivery complete Mid May 2016
- Grid energisation End of April 2016
- Works complete August 2016
- It is estimated that there will be 30-40 vehicles a day to and from the site
- There will be construction staff and turbine staff between 20-30
- No public rights of way will be closed
- Part of Withens Road will be altered to remove tight corners
- Signs and Notices will be erected and on site security staff will also be present
- All materials used on the construction will be locally sourced e.g. stone
There will be a Community Benefit Fund available to local communities amounting to £45k per year.
The next meeting of the Liaison Group will debate and put forward ideas for criteria to be adopted e.g. distance from turbines, level of disruption, scenic intrusion etc., what type of projects can be supported, who can apply and how the fund is to be allocated.
The fund will be administered by the Community Foundation for Calderdale.
Oxenhope Parish Council are represented on the group and will keep the community informed. Interested residents are encouraged to attend the meetings (details to follow, when available).
For more information on the Wind Farm visit the E.ON Energy website.